Help “Get Doncaster Mind to Rio” – We need your help!
Mind has launched a campaign to get people who have or are experiencing mental ill health into exercise. New research, shows that 80% of people with mental health problems who do not take part in sport, are put off because they feel self-conscious about their bodies. Nearly 70% of people told us that they feel their mental health makes taking part too difficult. The findings come as Mind launches “Get Set to Go”, a new programme to support 75,000 people with mental health problems to take up sport.
To support this campaign and to increase awareness of these difficulties we are planning to complete multiple sporting events to total the number of miles from Doncaster, England to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, home of the 2016 Olympic Games. The total number of miles we need to complete by Saturday 5 August is 5,848 miles which works out 293 miles each day! We will be starting our challenge on Saturday 16 July and need to complete the total number of miles by midnight on the 4 August.
How can you help?
You can help by either planning an event yourself for example:
- Are you taking part in a sporting event or activities – Cycling, Running,
Swimming – Raise funds and donate your miles to us
- Are you part of a local group and could organise an event where your members could participate in an activity and you could donate your miles and possibly raise funds for us, although this isn’t essential
- Donate money to our sporting champions – For every £5 donated, these champions will complete a mile in the sport of their choice
- Donate your average daily step count by donating £5 to our Just Giving Site “Get Doncaster Mind to Rio” For every £5 donated we will add 5 miles to our goal
- Pledge your miles/steps that you have done each day – all you need to do is fill out this form and send it back to us (Please note that we are keeping a log of all the miles so if possible please send the details to us every couple of days! Pledge Form
To donate you can do this via Just Giving by using the following link: https://campaign.justgiving.com/charity/donmind/rio
Or you could join in some of the activities we have planned:
- Bronze (3 miles), Silver (8 miles) and Gold walk (12 miles) planned by Steve Hall
- Exercise Bike at our Wellbeing Centre – Pop along on any day and take part for however long you want to and add to our miles
- Join Doncaster Parkrun (Organised 5km walk every Saturday – 9am at Sandal Park) and donate your miles – You could even get sponsorship at the same time.
- Lakeside Village – Help power our stationary bikes, and clock up some miles for us. 10 mins slots available throughout the day on Sunday 24 July 10.00am until 16.30pm
If you are interested in helping us achieve our goal and raise funds to enable us to support more people to get involved with exercise and sports please contact Laura on 01302 812190 or email email@example.com